Yesterday Maya (Ajay's Mom) and I met Ajay at the hospital for my second session of fetal monitoring. Last time, little Miss slept through the entire session, requiring me to give her a jiggle from time to time to make sure her cardiac reactions were what they should be. I had eaten lunch about two hours prior, which meant that she had a spike in her activity level before the session, and as soon as the monitors were hooked up, she fell into a post-lunch siesta. That's my girl. Make mama proud.
So today, on the way to the hospital, I decided to really prime her for this session. I started out by eating a banana. From this, I got no activity. So I moved on to Plan B, and unwrapped a Tootsie Pop. Still no action. That's when we met up with Ajay, who was carrying a plastic bag. What's in the bag, you may wonder? Well, I'm glad you asked...
My sweet sweet husband had run to my favorite provider of chocolate mocha cake...just to make sure the little one would be awake this time. God I love this man. Not only did he think ahead to get something to make sure the baby was awake and active for the test, but he made sure it was my VERY FAVORITE THING. I'm talking, seriously the best chocolate cake in possibly the world.
So into the fetal monitoring waiting room we went...me happily holding my cake tightly. As I looked around, I noticed other pregnant ladies with no cake. I slowly took the cardboard box out of the bag. I waited for pouncing to happen, and postured defensively. Slowly I opened the box. Again, checking my surroundings for any threatening maneuvering. All's safe. I took the first bite...then a second. All the while feeling the need to protect the cake with the arm not being used...you know, the way guys in prison eat? Or at least the way they eat in the movies?
So half way through the huge piece of cake, my name was called. I packed up the remainder and went into the room. And can we say action? All of a sudden, Alia was awake. And not just a little kick here and a little wiggle there. She was in full motion...with the belts hooked up that monitored both her cardiac sounds and activity as well as my own contractions, Alia aimed to please. The cardiac microphone not only picked up the thump thump thump of her heart, but also all the swooshing sounds associated with arms flailing, legs kicking, and full torso twists. This girl was busy.
During the last session, we must have been hooked up to the monitors for about 30 minutes. This time? Maybe 15 minutes...tops. She showed them exactly what they needed to see in no time at all. And thank the baby Jesus because that girl was stomping on my very full bladder the entire time!
No comments:
Post a Comment