Saturday, September 26, 2009

Maybe we should have done a little more childproofing...

Tonight Ajay is working a 24 hour overnight at the hospital, which means I've been on solo Alia duty since 7AM. Not such a big deal, except for the fact that she is now faster than me and our house isn't quite as safe as it should be. This means that while we're sitting happily in her play area, at any given moment, she can spring to her feet and take off with a naughty little look on her sweet little face. Up until now, I've counted on my own mobility to keep her safe in my house of horrors.

Sure, I put a baby gate at the top of the stairs that leads to the garage. Yes, we also have a gate that seals off the hallway to her room so she can't escape her "wing" without squawking to be let out. Yes, I've plugged every visible plug with a safety thingy to keep her curious little fingers out. But I kind of thought since she's never shown interest in the 6 or 7 steps that leads up to the house from the front entry that we were home free. I was wrong. So last week, I found an expandable, hideous safety gate for this 80" grand entry stairway and ordered it. Or was it the week before? Regardless, it cannot get here quick enough. Not only do I need this gate, but I also need my toilet-safety latches to be installed. I bought them, yes...but in reading the directions, I realized I'd have to remove the toilet seat to install them. And once I approached this little chore, I realized that several of our toilet seats need to be replaced. Thus, my toilet safety project will have to wait until my new toilet seats arrive. I mean, why go to the trouble of removing the seat, installing the safety latch, replacing the seat, only to re-do the whole process in a week or so.


And let's also talk about the modern style of our home. We have polished concrete floors throughout our home. Yes...they are hard. But the look really really cool. And so far, Alia has not injured herself in her toddling about because of the concrete floors. However, I haven't talked about the modern and other dangerous furniture that she has hurt herself on from time to time, all while we're standing 4 inches from her. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not like we need a visit from CPS or anything...we're talking normal bumps on her head on the coffee table and stuff like that. But how safe can  you make a Barcelona chair? In case you're wondering what in the world that is, here you go....



Yes, I put some of the adhesive spongey corner things on the corners of the ottoman, but it's still a trip to the ER waiting to happen. And what about that hundred year old coffee table made from an Indian door with hand-forged metal work? Huh? What in the hell am I supposed to do with that thing? Well, I'll show you what I did....


Yeah, we put those adhesive spongey things on the most dangerous of the corners, but there is still quite a bit about danger potential all about this table...the sides have little sharp metal thingys that can scrape little fingers and legs that are passing by.

So like I said, having Alia to myself from the time she gets up in the morning throughout the day (including bath time, and I haven't even gone there....my once-content water-baby in now a wild animal in the bath who refuses to sit and will do a nice spinny dance for you the whole time!) is not the biggest deal for a normal healthy 37 year old...but one that's 8 months pregnant? Makes for  a challenging day!

No comments: