Friday, November 5, 2010

Alia is 27 months old!

Where is the time going? Amelie just had her 1st birthday and I still haven't written about Alia's past month!

Well for starters, Montessori is going amazingly well. We decided to move Alia from 3 mornings a week to 5 because the structure suits her and the days she doesn't go, she asks to go. She gets along with her teacher very well, and loves to tell us about her day's activities when she gets home. She is still indifferent about the other kids there, but that's a HUGE step forward from where we started when Alia was openly frightened of the other kids and refused to enter the classroom.

Alia's language development is blowing us away monthly! She has gone from referring to herself in the third person to "I" this month. She counts to 20, and has a real grasp of the alphabet. She identifies "D-like Daddy!" and "M- like Mommy" and "O-like Dr. O" (her pediatrician).

Alia's terrible 2's have prompted me to reach out and talk to other Moms about how to steer kids at this age. I bought a parenting book that gives me a lot of hope called 1-2-3 Magic, and although I've only read 21 pages, the tools I've already picked up work well.

Alia's favorite thing is still Froggy, Daddy, her Olivia books, or anything her sister is playing with. She loves Elmo, talking about her day, hearing stories of things we've done together, and waiting for Daddy to come home.

Alia began eating turkey this month after about 10 months of refusing meat. We can thank Costco samples for that...you just never know what she'll eat while out and about.

As a Mom I'm focusing on following the guidelines of 1-2-3 Magic by consciously showering her in love and affection and praise for the good things she does. I try to start out our day positive by playing peek a boo with her with a stuffed animal when I get her up in the morning. I find if she starts the day laughing, her Diva alter ego is more likely to stay repressed, and my Angry Mom persona can have a break too!

Alia makes us laugh. Her smile melts our hearts. She has that affect on a lot of the people in her life, from family to teachers to Moms of her classmates. We are so fortunate to have this wonderful albeit boundary-pushing little person in our lives.

No comments: