Saturday, January 30, 2010

Books and Babies

Today it was predicted to rain all day, beginning around 11:00AM. For the third day in a row. In order to preserve my home and my sanity, I decided to make a run for it and attend the 9:30 Books and Babies at the Newport Central Library.

This is something new for Alia. Although we have tried to attend several of these, it's never happened. Even as recently as Monday, we showed up at 9:30 only to find the freaking library was closed for MLK Day. I mean, why wouldn't it be closed...I only battled a toddler, hail and rain, and my own lack of energy to make the journey there happen.

So today, we made it. We arrived to find a half dozen toddlers already there. Alia clung to me. She was a little nervous and shy around the other kids. About 10 minutes before the reading began, they opened the door to the reading room. Toddlers bolted in crisscross crooked lines with arms in the air for the room. Alia stayed back with me. I slowly coaxed her forward, and we found a spot against the wall. To my surprise, as I sat on the floor, legs crossed in front of me, Alia plopped right down on my lap and burrowed into me. This is not my normally spirited and confident little girl...so I took full advantage of the cuddles.

We began by all singing a song together...the Incey Wincey Spider. As we all did the hand motions, Alia sat quietly and took it in without participating. Next, the nice lady read us a story about animals on the farm and what they said...a cow says Moo...a chicken says Bok!...and a goat says...hang on...a goat grunts? Thats when I realized Alia had taken both of my hands and was bearing down. While sitting on my lap. In the middle of story time. Well, at least it was loud enough for her to get lost in the noise, right? Well, one would think.

However, that's when Alia did her signature move...she stood up, faced me, held one of my hands in each of her hands, and made her there's-no-mistaking-what's-going-on-below face of "I'm  pooping!" So much for discreet.

No comments: