Friday, April 3, 2009

8 week ultrasound

The good news is everything looked great at today's ultrasound. Heartbeat? Check. Baby looks healthy? check. And here's the picture that proves it....


Dr. H told me that this past week was the critical one...seeing the heartbeat today is a huge relief after such a significant drop in my progesterone level last week.



HUH?!!!


I thought we weren't worried last week. I thought we were doing fine. Wait a minute...I'm so confused.

Dr. H told me that after a significant drop off in progesterone, the following week is the critical timeframe within which a miscarriage is likely. And considering my history of miscarriages, she's relieved and couldn't be happier today.


HUH!?!!


I didn't even know I was supposed to be concerned. I'm sure she didn't want to alarm me and cause me a week's worth of stress that could also lead to a greater chance of a miscarriage, but I'm feeling a little left out in the dark over here.


As I'm processing all this, I asked if it was okay that since the progesterone acted like a sleeping pill for me, I have been taking one in the evenning, and one in the middle of the night. She told me they really needed to be spaced out in 12 hour intervals.

Oops.

So, while today's news was definitely good, I can't help but feel a little less than thrilled. I could have lost this baby this week based on my progesterone drop-off? I need to take the progesterone 12 hours apart? I'm kind of feeling like an irresponsible, tired, hungry, cranky and ignorant person over here!

No comments: