Thursday, November 13, 2008

Damn you, environmentally friendly diapers!

I was at Target picking up some diapers and other necessities when I came across a display of environmentally friendlier diapers...it seems they're derived of corn as opposed to most diapers that are derived of oil. Anyway, since I've made the switch to environmentally friendly dish soap and laundry soap and better light bulbs and re-use my grocery bags from Trader Joe's, it only seemed right to explore diapers that are kinder to the Earth, as well. Especially with Little Miss Pee Pee pants using up 18 diapers a day! And no, I never considered letting her pee twice in one diaper. That's just mean.

Anyway, I bought a pack of these diapers that touted better performance all the while being better to the planet...not to mention, who wants an oil-based product next to baby's skin? So I brought them home, and proudly showed off my purchase to Ajay. I explained to him all the selling points of these new diapers, and told him we'd test them out on her next diaper change.

So when the time came, I opened up the first diaper and was taken aback by how much they felt like newspaper with elastic magically infused into the leg holes. I rubbed the inside of the diaper on my face, and then grabbed one of the Pampers and did the same. Yes, clean diapers, mind you. I was horrified. The Earth-friendly diaper was noticeably rougher against my face than the Pampers diaper. And the leg holes didn't stretch and flex like Alia's normal diaper.

Now what? Do I put aside all these convictions I had so recently signed up for? I mean, the landfills! For God sake! How can I go backwards? How can I un-realize what I'm doing to Mother Earth? And putting an oil-based product against Alia's perfect little behind?

So here we are a week later. Every time I change Alia's diaper, I see the choice in the diaper drawer...the "friendly diapers" or the "Earth killers". The Brillo pads versus the silken pee pads. The constrictors versus the comfy. And every time, I reach for the Pampers. I'm that person.

But I figure, when the products are truly equal, then everyone will buy them, so technically I would be doing a disservice to the world if I were to vote with my dollars and purchase an inferior product...because then the company would think they'd done enough...right? I mean, I can't be the only discerning person out there, right? The only person that wants their baby's diaper to both work and be comfortable, in addition to being Earth friendly? I mean, how would you like to wear newspaper underwear with leg holes that were either too loose or constricted blood flow to your lower extremities.

So if you really think about it, I'm being kinder to the planet. Yeah, I'll just keep telling myself that every time I reach for the wrong diaper!

No comments: