Normally, I stay clear of topics of religion and politics on my blog. I have always felt that religious beliefs are best left private. This is self serving as an atheist, as it keeps me clear from God-discussions. And being from the mid-west where the majority of people are Christian, well, let's just say that I don't need to trouble my entire family with may damned-to-hell soul.
Politics, too, has been a topic I have steered clear of here on my blog because again, being of conservative upbringing, and having evolved from that to an independent thinker, I don't want my people to feel that they need to bring me back to the herd. I'm happy out here on my own, thinking for myself. In fact, being from such a conservative upbringing and being able to reflect on it, all the group-think I was surrounded by really freaks me out.
So there's where I stand on religion and politics. I think people should focus on living kindly. Respecting others. Living and let live. I think people should be able to agree to disagree. I think everyone is different, and as human beings sharing the same planet, we can learn a lot from these differences. I believe in sharing in the world. I believe there is no true religion. I don't believe you can worship the wrong God. I think if we scratch beneath the surface of most people, we'll find that most people genuinely mean well, even if their presentation is faulty.
With all that said, and having built the foundation so you know where I'm coming from, let's talk about our drive home from the Halloween party yesterday. We left the party a little early and perplexed by the change in the energy and atmosphere there...a couple of really nasty people kind of took over, and we decided it was time to go. So on the drive home, we began seeing people with signs everywhere..."Yes on 8!" "Yes on 8 means Religious Freedom" "Vote Yes on 8 for Parental Rights".
Huh?! Prop 8 is the measure here in California that hopes to repeal the right for gays to marry. Prop 8 is the measure that limits marriage to be between a man and a woman. Prop 8 has absolutely nothing to do with Religious Freedom or Parental Rights.
As I drove on toward home, there were hundreds of these people aggressively displaying their signs of hatred and loathing of people unlike themselves. They flew their banners high, attempting to persuade others to vote their way based on misinformation. They smiled and waved at ongoing cars, giving everyone the thumbs-up.
I wondered to myself, how can hate looks so gosh darn friendly? Aren't these people really saying "down with those faggots" and "don't give other human beings the same rights that I enjoy"? Is that to say that they feel homosexuals are less than humans? I always thought when you talked about human rights, that meant all the humans, not just the ones like me. Boy, and they sure were happy and exuberant about the whole thing. They really were enjoying their display of rights-limiting hatred. I was disgusted. I felt dirty.
As I write this, reflecting on yesterday's drive, I find my head shaking, my lip curling up like there's a bad taste in my mouth. With all that's going on in the world, with the economy in shambles, at a time that 1 in 10 are out of work....this is what the local church group have chosen to focus their energy on? Petitioning to limit marriage? There are no better causes to focus energy on? Shame on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment