Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh My God...I'm having a baby tomorrow

Today is the final day before Alia is born. Wow...that is such a trip. Tomorrow there will be another freestanding human being on the planet...that belongs to us. That's big.

So on this final day, we had a terrific meet up with family for brunch. My brother in law and sister in law came down from L.A. with their two little girls...Haylah and Ciela. After brunch, we got to play with Ciela, dubbed our test-baby for the afternoon, because we got to do everything from clothing changes to diaper changes to putting her down for a nap to brushing her hair. Oh, and we got to load her in the car seat for the ride home. Not a bad day's practice on the day before our unit arrives tomorrow!

So today was much less emotional than yesterday. I think yesterday the enormity of everything happening hit me. Today, I'm still looking like a deer in the headlights from time to time, still a little freaked out that they'll eventually send me home with our baby, but for the most part, the time spent one-on-one with my baby niece was very reassuring. All I had to do was look at her and have that eye contact connection to realize that it'll be no problem when it's my own baby that I'm looking at and caring for.

So tomorrow at 6 a.m. we'll head out for the hospital. By 8:30 or so, our baby will be here. I'll be in the hospital until Thursday. Will post again as soon as possible!

2 comments:

Travelwahine said...

Andrea,
I am so excited on the birth of your daughter. You have my sincerest best wishes. I don't know you but I am sitting here crying with joy on the arrival of Alia. Please post as soon as you have a chance to let us know Alia and you are doing well. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica said...

You will be a great mother- I can tell from reading your posts that you already love and care for your little girl. So, take a deep breath and welcome to motherhood!