Monday, June 2, 2008

Greek Lamb Pilaf

Here's a recipe I made the other night...I made a couple of changes from the original, which are noted below in italics.



Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross

Greek Lamb Pilaf
Lamb, mint, and rice are a classic Greek combination.
Time: 38 minutes.
2 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 carrot) or 2
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 pound lean ground lamb or a pound of beef, which is what I used b/c my grocer was out of lamb.
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin, another addition I made to increase the smokiness
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup chopped plum tomato (about 1 tomato) I used 2 tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided I used a whole bundle...more like 3/4 cup
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint I used a whole bundle...more like 1/2 cup
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and the zest of the lemon to brighten up the flavors
3/4 teaspoon salt
5-6 scallions, chopped, another item I added to make the fresh taste come alive
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add first 4 ingredients to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble lamb. Stir in rice and cinnamon; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in chopped tomato, 3 tablespoons parsley, mint, lemon juice, and salt. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and the chopped scallions.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)CALORIES 446 (35% from fat); FAT 17.2g (sat 7g,mono 7.2g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 26g; CHOLESTEROL 83mg; CALCIUM 61mg; SODIUM 748mg; FIBER 2.4g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 45g Cooking Light, JUNE 2008

No comments: