Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nocturnal Habits of the Ready-to-Pop

Everyone, mainly strangers on the street, strangers in the grocery store, tells me "get your rest now" when they see the very large, voluminous belly that now pokes out beneath even my maternity tops. But most of my girlfriends who have kids say "yeah, you're at that uncomfortable part where sleep is impossible...I didn't sleep for the last two months!"

But here's the thing...aside from the waking up several times per night to pee, (which has been happening since my third month of pregnancy) and the ensuing insomnia that occurs on occasion after my potty break, I've been sleeping like the dead. And for long amounts of time....I'm in bed by 9:30 (or 10 on a wild and crazy night) and get up around 8:00 in the a.m. And before pregnancy? I was up before 6 every day.

Back when I was pregnant with twins, I remember reading that the little baby parasites really take it out of your body and you need at least an extra hour or two of sleep per night. Apparently my body took this to heart, because since reading that, I've been sleeping like there's no tomorrow...

And dreams? Some mornings I'm astounded and even embarrassed by the colorfulness of my imagination on these new hormones. Last night, for example, in my dream Ajay was out of town, and I somehow got involved with a group of people who were up to no good....including Formula One racer David Coulthard and Victoria Bechkam. Oh, and we all lived in Bloomington, Indiana, which is where I went to college. And David Coulthard was driving a 1980's Trans Am or Camaro and was involved in some sort of plot involving Victoria Beckham...I never found out what they were up to but it seemed that they were ripping some one off...a heist if you will. And they were using my house (which was really not my house...it was a condo I was considering buying that my realtor currently owned and resided in...only she was out of town for the weekend....because that makes sense, right?). And in this condo, the master bedroom contained a bathroom so big that it could have been a gym locker room...it even had a steam shower big enough for 30 people to sit in. And then, all sorts of people were coming out of the woodwork to crash there, including my Dad, my brother, and friends from high school and college. They would knock, bring in duffle bags, inflated rafts for the community pool, ice chests (because Hoosiers are an ice chest loving people), and enough clothing for a week or so. And there were all sorts of things going on around me...and I was clueless about everything. It was as if people were coming in and taking over my home...and I had no control...and there were bags everywhere...and I didn't agree with a lot of what was going on...people coming and going all night long, police showing up to tell me that the neighbors were complaining about the noise...it was a disaster.

Ummm, I just read my last blog...and maybe this dream isn't so crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the "ice chest" reference. Never thought about it, but we do love our ice chests. :)