Monday, March 31, 2008

Caution: New Clueless Expectant Mom

Friday afternoon I was sitting at the computer minding my own business when I got a really sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen. It was sharp enough for me to stagger to the couch and recline in an attempt to regain my breath....and it took a while to catch my breath. This was around 1:15.

I thought about it...what could it be? It was right in the location where my little boy resides...is my body rejecting him? Trying to expel him? What's going on?

I picked up the phone and called my OB; her office was closed for lunch. After a few minutes, I came to the conclusion that it was probably just indigestion or something like that. No big deal. Ajay called from work shortly thereafter and I told him what had happened. He said to definitely call the doctor again after the lunch hour.

I talked with one of Dr. K's nurses who was familiar with my history, and considering what we've been through, she didn't want me to take any chances and told me to go to the hospital. I'm thinking, okay, should I be worried? Because I'm feeling like this is a little bit of an over-reaction. I mean, it happened awhile ago and didn't happen again.

Ajay calls again and tells me he's done with his day early and heading home. I ask him to Guess what? They want me to go to the hospital! After his long week of gruelingly long days, the moment he's sprung from the hospital, I'm asking him to turn around and go back. So he picked me up, and back to the hospital we go.

When I arrived to L&D, they treated me like a real patient...they had me change into their butt-flashing gown. I had an ID bracelet and everything. Now I'm really feeling like this is silly and I want to go home...but they were taking it so seriously that I felt that I should stay. And not to mention, the whole time Ajay is telling me, hey, don't worry about it...the best thing that could happen is that nothing is wrong, and they can confirm that for us.

So they draw blood, have me pee in a cup, order an ultrasound. We wait. I take in the beautiful ocean view from the room. We wait. I turn on the TV...did you know you have to pay an extra $7 per day for cable in the hospital? Like, seriously!!! And nothing is on network television, of course. We wait. I read some of my book. And then the ultrasound lady shows up...she tells me they've ordered a full abdominal scan as well as a full baby scan.

She starts with scanning the baby. Everything is A-okay. At 22 weeks, she's measuring 23 weeks, and weighs a pound and a half. She looks healthy and very cute. They continue to scan my little boy, but I still can't handle looking at the screen...it's still too sad for me to see him, and I can tell by looking at Ajay's face that I don't want to see the screen during this part.

She has me sit up and continues scanning---this time of my abdomen....checking out my liver, gall bladder, kidneys, etc., etc., etc. She changes in between probes to look at different depths---everything checks out okay. Again she asks me to point to where the pain was...I pointed to it, and she put the ultrasound probe right on top of the area I pointed to.

She turned the screen so I could see it.

She enlarged the image.

I saw a foot.

I had been kicked. Hard.

Now I call my little girl Ronaldino.

No comments: