This week, during the opening segment, Christian, my favorite person to hate, mentions "I just make clothes so much better than the other designers". This after sucking so fiercely with the $15 challenge last week....clearly he's learned a lot of humility between last week and this week. And why shouldn't he be so much better than all the others...he's 21 after all and has a world of experience that he brings to the table...for one, he can sew fast. Forget that his designs have been less than consistent a this point. I HATE HIM.
Now we enter into the challenge....they announce that this week's challenge is to make an outfit for Tiki Barber, a former linebacker and current Today Show whatever you call it....correspondent? He's on the show. He needs an outfit. Design it. Keep in mind this former football player has a good sense of fashion and he has a big booty, a big muscular neck, broad shoulders and a narrow waist. Okay, aside from the muscular neck, I can relate to wanting to somewhat disguise or play down a booty.
They're given $150 to design an outfit. Why are they all freaking out? No one except the one guy has ever done men's clothing apparently.
Here's where I'm a little irritated. Jack takes off his shorts, deconstructs them, and uses them as a pattern. Alright...initially, I'm okay with this...he's being resourceful. And he's a nice guy. Victoria and Carmen ask to borrow his deconstructed shorts to make their pants out of this pattern, too. Jack does them this favor. Hmmmm. I don't know how I feel about this...are they taking advantage of his generosity, or is it just me? And what kind of competition would this be if everyone just created a pattern out of what they were already wearing? Or better yet, they could all trace the same thing and everyone could make the same outfit!
This week, I liked Kit. I liked that she seems pretty mature and insightful...at one point she said something like, here we are so stressed out and we forget that we're actually living our dream right now...pretty bright and a pretty good perspective...especially being only 26.
Oh, and I still like Rami..I liked his smart ass remark that his pants looked great and he didn't use a pattern at all. He has a point. Back to Jack...I wonder...is he simply a nice guy who helped others in need, or is this part of his strategy to build alliances and be able to call in favors later....hmmm.
Ricki...I changed my mind...I feel that I've given him a fair enough of time and I do not like him. He's too stressed out all the time. That fellow needs some self esteem or something...he puts the pressure of the world on his shoulders every week and it makes me stressed out to watch his struggle every week.
Then comes special guest Ginny Barker, Kiki's wife. Okay, this lady takes what her husband wears very very seriously...she looks at everything with an extremely critical eye. I loved that she called who was it...Carmen's? jacket a Member's Only remake.
In the end, Jack won. I thought his outfit looked great, but there is still the fact that he traced the pants off his body to "create" his pants.
And Carmen goes home...that's okay...I didn't think too highly of her, especially after saving so much time by tracing Jack's pants, and then completely screwing up her jacket and not finishing the shirt. Bye bye Carmen!
1 comment:
There were some ugly-ass fashions displayed on last night's show. I started wondering what Tiki would do if he was forced to choose one. (Aside: I think Tiki is a great mix of brains and brawn)
I'm still having problems with names so I don't know the name of the guy with the beard (the straight male designer) who made the lavender-accented suit, but I like him. He kind of just buckles down and does his work and ignores most of the bullshit. He's very focused (and didn't notice Sarah J. Parker trying to shake his hand last week) and I also liked his design. I happen to think most men look good in lavender and Tiki, with his coloring, would have looked great. Granted, the outfit was a little showy for the Today Show, but it would have been perfect for Heidi's husband, Seal (even though Heidi disagreed).
I agree with you, Andrea, that Nasally Christian is ANNOYING!
I don't know the name of the Weber Woman but I'm not upset she got kicked off. She still couldn't finish her outfit even after borrowing Jack's pattern?! She didn't even finish the shirt! Not even a sleeve!
About Jack--I'm ambivalent regarding his behavior last night. You're not allowed to use patterns on the show. Jack circumvented the rules when he whipped off his own shorts. So...inspired creativity or sneaky skullduggery? I haven't made up my mind.
I also haven't made up my mind who my favorites are. Rami seems to be the most generally talented. Victoria is a contender too but I'm still bothered by the dress she made in the first episode--the model couldn't raise her arms. Shades of female bondage.
Okay, my mind just blanked. I think I'm still drugged from all the Turkey I consumed over the holiday. That explains why the Bitch in me is still asleep and not commenting all over last night's PR episode. But I'll be back in form next week and I'll take notes.
Until then...
Post a Comment