Ajay asked what I wanted to do for dinner, and before he finished his sentence, I was enthusiastically replying "Let's go out! Let's go out! Let's go out!" Yesterday was the first day I was allowed to leave the house after my embryo transfer.
One would think that leaving the house for the first time in 8 days that we would want to do it right, get dressed, go to a nice place, etc. We discussed going to either Brussels Bistro which would require both of us to shower, and Wahoo's, which would not. Then a commercial for Ruby's came on the TV. Ajay asks, "Have you ever been to Ruby's?" My girlfriends and I frequented Ruby's for breakfast and a beer after a long night of boozing and debauchery about a decade ago. "Yes", I reply. "Is it good?" he asks. "Sure," I said, "I mean, it's burgers and stuff, you know, casual". Ajay says, "let's go there." We can establish commercials work.
I put on some of the ugliest clothes I have ever seen...my camouflage pants, (because they and a pair of huge jeans are the only ones that fit other than sweats, or "yoga pants" as my friend Jen insists on calling them) a bright blue long sleeve t-shirt, and then a black turtle neck sweater over that. With my new bigger distended belly (is it the drugs or babies drugs or babies drugs or babies drugs or babies?) neither shirt is quite long enough. Oh, and don't forget the turquoise Jack Purcell Converse, because my outfit wasn't ugly enough before. I look hideous...HI-DEE-US!!!
We arrive at Ruby's....the parking lot is packed at 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night. We hear a dull roar from the parking lot. As we open the door, we're blinded by fluorescent lights and a frenzied tornado of activity and hundreds, maybe thousands of miniature people. Every table had them! They were loud. They were messy. They were in constant motion. The big people at the table with the little people looked really tired. Not to toot my own horn (toot toot), but I am a knock out in my make up and clean clothes; the other big people have stains and spilled milk all over them. This was no fairytale. This is not the Ruby's full of drunk 20-somethings on Sunday morning...this was not MY Ruby's.
We were seated at a booth carefully constructed in shiny red vinyl. The hostess pointed to plastic covered menus behind the napkin dispenser. Looking at the menu, I slowly realized there was a reason for the throngs of small people...they LOVE hamburgers, fried fish, sliders, and onion rings. And there was even beer for the big people, and interestingly, every single big person had a half full one of those in front of them.
After we ate our sliders and fried fish, we walk happily comatose back to our very grown up sporty coupe with the big boy engine. Ajay is laughing. He says, are you ready for that to be our big night out?
No comments:
Post a Comment