You know, as a blogger (even the rustiest blogger like myself) we are always challenging ourselves to record, record, record. Our thoughts, things we notice, funny things that might be funny to other people, too, as well as landmarks...birthdays, anniversaries, firsts (first word, tooth, steps, and yes, in our case the first f-bomb). But what happens when you become like me and fall out of practice of recording daily, weekly, or even monthly and you find yourself feeling the need to backtrack?
Well I'll tell you what happens. You start thinking you can type from memory. Only, as you saw in my last blog post, our memory isn't so vivid a year (or even a month) down the road. So here's my choice. Rather than racking my brain to try to recapture the past year, please allow me to summarize it for you so I can be free of the guilt and move on in the present.
This past year was tough. My girls offer me endless joy, as most Moms will tell you. They also showed me why my own mother went mad listening to day after day of my brother and sister fighting, talking back, rolling eyes, disrespecting her, not listening to her, and frankly? We bought she was just pissed off. Having nothing to do with us, of course.
Well last week I called my dear Mom and apologized to her. I'm 40 years old so this apology has been a long time coming. I told her I was sorry for driving her crazy and for all the fighting, all the bad behavior. Because now I get it. And what's the point of this digression? Well, I'll tell you. My girls have also driven me bat shit crazy this year fighting, picking on each other, asserting their independence (read: not doing what I ask of them), pushing each others' buttons. I haven't written a lot because I didn't have much to say other than I'm losing my mind!
Lately it feels that we've turned a corner, however, and we are doing much better. The girls have been trending much better behavior wise. However, just like with any trend, there's good days and bad days. As a Mom I have to constantly remind myself to not lose my mind. And today? They perform....
No comments:
Post a Comment