Thursday, April 16, 2009

What? It IS a big deal!

I used to be an effective multi-tasking person. The old me would stop right here and Google the term "effective" and make sure I'm using it right...you know, effective versus affective? I can never keep them straight. But that's the old me. You know, the one that did a home renovation and put in a pool during my last pregnancy? 

I've watched Jon and Kate Plus Eight countless times...I marvel at how in the hell Kate manages to keep that kitchen floor clean after every meal, in addition to keeping her sanity. I mean, 8 kids? Twins and sextuplets?

Before married life, I was a career girl. No, this is not a "whoa is me...I  used to be someone!" blog. Quite the contrary. I like my life much more where it's at now. I like myself much more in my new role too. I feel love pouring through my eyes aimed at my baby countless times a day and you just can't beat that. At least for me, that is. Disclaimer: babies aren't for everyone! But my point is that I used to be able to accomplish things....lots of things...every day no matter what was thrown at me.

So anyway, what's my point? Well, Alia and I are both surviving her first cold. She feels lousy. I feel sad for her. I want to fix it, but I can't. But what I can do is put her freshly washed decorative carseat cover back on...don't even ask about yesterday's brown-out that mandated a Hazmat suit and a three foot long pair of tongs. Anyway, after disassembling the carseat straps and untwisting 8 months of laziness, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. I mean, sure it took 15 minutes to get the thing back on when it should have taken less than 5, but I got it back on, and I even took the time to do it right. See? An accomplishment.

And that's when I realized just how much my life has changed. On my mental list of accomplishments today, I have "Put the carseat cover back on". Seriously. If that's not celebrating the small stuff, I don't know what is! But then the old me pops into my head and says, "hey! remember? you also unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, did two loads of laundry, drove to Target to get Infant Tyelenol, grabbed a Famous Star at Carl's Jr., and cared for a sick baby all day...what the hell do you expect?" If that's not a repressed Type-A "dammit, give me some credit" sub-persona just dying to be heard, I don't know what!

No comments: