Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just Keepin' it Real

Today I was talking to my sister, and I mentioned that Alia has really been challenging for me the last couple of days. She asked in what way, and I told her about Alia's new nearly-constant whine. See, Alia has found her voice, and apparently, she feels it's best to use it to motivate me to better serve her....through whining.

Chris (my sister) asked if there was something wrong with her. I responded "no". She asked what I do when Alia begins whining. I tell her that I say things like "I know your tired, Alia...I'm tired too. However, rather than whining, maybe you could just keep it to yourself. That's what Mommy does". My sister got a laugh out of this. She asked if it pains me to hear her unhappy. I responded with something to the effect of "well, it does pain me in that it really gets on my nerves to hear whining for hours on end". My sister laughed, and responded that she had no idea life in Alia-land was anything but perfect. She said from the normal Alia reports, we've created a perfect child that brings nothing but 24 hour joy joy joy.

Well. As difficult as it is to say (because Alia is so wonderfully sweet and cute and does such a good job of being a baby), it's challenging! Especially with the new whining thing...I told my sister that one of my big pet peeves in life is whining, so it's funny that my little 6 month old has already honed in on exactly what makes my eyes cross and creates a black hole in my brain just behind my crossed eyes as her motivating behavior of choice. Oh, and don't get me wrong...there's crying too.

So after talking with my sister, I looked over the last blogs...and there I saw sweet photos, sweet videos, and reports of nothing but baby love and sweetness and cuteness. So there it is my friends. No perfection on this end!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I completely understand! Greg tells me to ignore the kids (especially the baby) when they are whining but they may as well be poking me continuously on the forehead. It is like Chinese water torture! It is impossible to ignore. I fear that now that we have girls this is just the beginning of the next 18 years of whining. God I hope not....
Nat