Friday, January 23, 2009

Alia is 6 months old


As always, I feel like the time is just flying. My itty bitty newborn infant is now 6 months old...half a year! At her 6 month pediatrician appointment, we learned that she is officially off the charts on height, weight and head circumference. She is 28.25 inches long and weighed 19 pounds, 14 oz. Furthermore, our doctor noted all sorts of things that Alia was excelling at...she hands her toys from one hand to the other. She sat up on my lap with little to no support for the duration of the appointment. Alia was also very vocal during the appointment...cooing and flirting with the doctor until she tried to look in her ears...then she decided this appointment wasn't that much fun. The doctor also told us that the "stranger anxiety" that I'm starting to witness is just Alia being a little bit ahead of schedule and that she's a smart cookie; she knows that we are her people, which means that other people aren't.
This month solid food went from a sometimes-treat to a daily event. At 6 months, we were allowed to add fruits to her diet...and while bananas were an instant hit, apricots....well....you be the judge!

This month Alia seems to be coming out of her shell more. She is easily bored and wants to see new things all the time. She loved our New Years trip to San Francisco, and enjoys our new morning routine of going to town for her bottle. Alia also is very clear in her communication; if she is unhappy, she lets us know with high-pitched whining. And if she's happy? Well, just make sure she's safe, because anything in range will be smacked about 1,000 times.

Alia is a spunky little girl...she loves to play and giggle and she definitely knows when she's being funny....she gets a twinkle in her eye that is just heartwarming. 


This month, I've relaxed a bit. I really feel like I've found my footing, and for the most part and much better able to take things in stride. I give both Alia and myself credit for this....she's become much more "durable" and I've learned to relax and roll with things. I think I've actually learned that all babies are different and no matter what this book or that article says, we're doing just fine.

So happy half-year birthday, Alia! My constant companion, my little entertainer, and world's biggest fan of winter squash!

No comments: