Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Physical fitness, or in my case, physical fatness...

It's been 9 weeks since I had our little baby...

It's been 3 weeks since I got the green light to start exercising.

It's been a year since I exercised last.

Bluuuuugh!

Although almost 30 pounds have melted away over the last two months, my body is not in the shape it used to be, that's for sure. Before I had Alia, I did really well working out at home with exercise videos...I know, it sounds gay, doesn't it? But for me, they worked. I was able to really follow the regimen defined  by the program I followed. Unfortunately, the regimen is pretty much impossible to follow without a daily babysitter. 

So for now, I've resolved that I'm just not going to look my best. I don't belong to a gym, and Ajay's gym (which is where I'd join if I did join) won't allow babies under 6 months old in their child care area. But I'm feeling so antsy about getting the rest of the way back to my former self. I want to exercise...I always feel better when I do...not to mention the reward of looking great to go along with feeling great. But honestly, I just don't know how to do it without someone to help care for Alia...

I thought I'd be able to squeeze in some type of workout during Alia's daytime naps...unfortunately, those naps? Usually aren't what one would think of when one thinks of naps. Alia goes down for a nap, and then usually wakes up each and every time I step away from her...requiring another 10 or so minutes to put her back to sleep. And if you just walk away? You don't want to be on the receiving end of what Alia has to say about that! So my little one is a bit of a high maintenance napper...it's not a situation where Mommy naps (or works out) when baby naps around here!

So that's my dilemma. I feel kind of defeated in the physical fitness arena for now. And also knowing that we're considering another round of IVF in the near future makes me even less hopeful for getting in shape since working out is out of the question for much of the month during the process. 

So like I said....Bluuuugh!

2 comments:

Dipti Shah said...

Andrea,
Check out Stroller Strides. They have an entire workout created around taking the baby for a 'walk' in her stroller. It's pretty intense, and that way, you'll get to do what you want without sacrificing time away from Alia. If you go to their site, you can locate a class that might be in your neck of the woods: http://www.strollerstrides.com/

I was never able to nap when my daughter was Alia's age either...usually, b/c in order for her to sleep, I had to hold onto her the entire time. Ahhh...good times.

Andrea said...

Hi Dipti...
thanks for the input! My OB actually recommended Strollerstrides and I have looked for a group in my area, but didn't actually follow through all the way...as in, I think I googled it, came up with something, the baby cried, and that was the end of the quest!
Oh, and it's good to hear that I'm not the only girl out here stuck under a sleeping baby for 60% of the day...at least there's Project Runway!