Over the weekend, I continued to nest and nest and nest. What began as a Friday night project of clearing out Alia's bathroom cabinets and stocking her changing table with the teeniest tiny little diapers you can imagine turned into a whole weekend-long nesting adventure.
After finishing Alia's bathroom and putting more of her gifts away, I decided to challenge myself to my own closet. Yep...exciting stuff. I won't bore you with too many details, but what started as tossing Ajay's dingiest socks to make room for the new ones turned into a closet free-for-all clean sweep. I swear this closet project could have been featured on Mission Organization on HGTV...or perhaps even Mission Impossible...if that were such a show.
I cleared out a respectable amount of clothes...from Ajay's t-shirts with ink stains down the front (from putting pens in the pocket without lids) to old pj's that I've never seen him wear. I challenged myself, too. I tossed old bras and underwear that had strings hanging, got rid of anything size 4 since I haven't seen that size in a year or so, and I tossed shoes that hurt my feet. I walked away feeling good about the large shopping bag of stuff I cleared out. To celebrate, I turned on Tivo and pulled up a marathon of "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style". Well!!! Let's just say Tim gave me a whooooooole new perspective about what should be in my closet.
One of the ladies that had written in and requested Tim's help was told that she should get rid of things in her closet that didn't fit and/or didn't speak to her soul. Okay...how can I say this fairly...THERE IS ONLY ONE GARMENT IN MY CLOSET SPEAKS TO MY SOUL!!!! And I don't think I can wear my Pucci silk flowy top every day...to clean out the litter box, nursing the new baby, or hanging out eating Taco Bell while I'm blogging.
Regardless, back to the closet I went...this time really challenging myself in the "fit" category and the "soul speaking" category...only I modified "speaks to my soul" to mean it's something I would wear outside of the house and didn't have some sort of stain on it.
I also heard Tim Gunn's helper, supermodel Veronica Webb, tell their latest fashion project that bras lose their integrity after 6 months. Huh? I buy new bras every year or two...but now that I think of it, I bought new bras for my big pregnant boobies about 3 months ago and WOW was it a big difference compared to what I would have still been wearing if I hadn't outgrown the cup size. We're talking support, comfortable straps, and no funny indentations in the cup that seem to develop no matter how carefully I fold them. Anyway...back to re-thinking everything! I went through bras again, all my pants, tops, shoes, purses, t-shirts, sweaters, even workout clothes got the third degree. After several more hours in the closet, I finished folding the last "keeper" tank top and felt very accomplished. Count them....six overflowing bags of just my stuff!
I actually don't think this photograph does my pile of clothes to donate justice...just like when you see a picture of the grand canyon...you really miss the scale in a picture. Seriously...that's a lot of clothes that do not speak to my soul...or rather, things I wouldn't wear out of the house....what does that say about me!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment