Ajay and I spent the weekend in Los Angeles. This nice little get-away was to celebrate my birthday---36 already. Ajay arranged for us to go to some of our favorite restaurants and we also checked out a new place we hadn't been. It was a blast.
Now that I'm prominently displaying a soccer ball belly, I've noticed a change in people. People are definitely nicer to the pregnant girl. I'm allowed to use the employee bathroom that remains off limits to the general public. People go out of their way to pull out a shopping cart for me and open doors for me. More than anything, I notice people smiling at me.
Ajay has also noticed my new preferential treatment with enjoyment. He says there is absolutely nothing less threatening than a pregnant lady. Men feel comfortable talking to me because obviously they aren't trying to pick up on me and obviously I'm not pick up-able. In fact, we've both noticed that strange men are much more friendly to me. Ajay teases that I could easily walk up to any man on the street and ask him for his phone number or home address and they'd probably give it to me without question.
As we were wrapping up our weekend in L.A., we got onto the hotel elevator on the way to check out. A very sharply dressed African American guy was already on the elevator when we got on, me holding my belly when I entered---he looked up and said, "You look pretty". As we parted ways with our new friend, Ajay laughed out loud and said that his point is proven.
No comments:
Post a Comment