Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vitamin C

Last week, our neighbors across the street dropped off a big box of Clementine oranges. Our neighbors are very nice.

I looked at the box with apprehension....while oranges seemed like a good healthy snack, I just didn't know if my stomach could handle the citrus. So I ate one. It was delicious. Then I ate another one. It was equally delicious. Soon, I started eating these little oranges throughout the day...two at a time.

One night, as we sat watching TV, I was eating orange after orange and asked Ajay, "How many of these do you think I could eat without making myself sick?" He gave it some thought and replied, "three". While I've always limited myself to two at a time, it was good to know that he felt I had a little bit of wiggle room.

Yesterday morning, I got my 16th week update from iVillage, and this is what it said:

WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH YOU
For some women, nasal congestion and nosebleeds are an annoying -- and, come to think of it, weird -- side effect of pregnancy. Your changing hormone levels, increased blood volume and softening tissues cause the mucous membranes in your nose to swell. It's also possible that you have a vitamin-C deficiency, since this can cause nosebleeds, so eating more vitamin C-rich foods may help. Do not use nose drops, other than saline, unless recommended by your health-care provider.

Once again, my body is right on track---and even more interesting is just how clearly it tells me exactly what it's in need of. A few weeks ago, neighborhood animals were no longer safe...I just couldn't stop thinking about steaks and burgers....come to find out I'd become anemic and they prescribed prescription strength iron supplements. Now this week I just can't seem to get enough oranges...I should have predicted the reason why!

No comments: