Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feathering my nest...well, sort of....in spirit....

Now that our home addition is basically past, I've had more time on my hands. I don't spend hours on end figuring out how to better motivate the contractors to stay focused on our project (translate that to mean I don't make 50 calls a day asking each individual subcontractor, "hey, do you think the guys will show up today?"), and I don't spend the majority of days meeting with several people to make all sorts of decisions. That leaves me with time.

Now that I have time, I've turned my focus to things related to babies, of course. And more specifically, our home and it's unsuitableness for babies and children. We have polished concrete floors throughout. Very modern and stylish? Yes. Practical for baby people with no motor skills? No. Most of our furniture has sharp corners. A couple of pieces of our modern-design furniture have caused me minor injuries from sharp edges...imagine my poor wobbly babies!

I've also begun to notice clutter of all sorts. I can walk into any room....let's say the library/computer den. Last weekend I straightened and cleaned all the book cases. It looks pretty good. However, there is one little cubby whole driving me crazy...it's the one that holds all of Ajay's Anesthesiology magazines. Why? Why do I care about one cubby hole in a whole wall of built in shelving? I don't know. But I'm quite sure that without the Anesthesiology magazines dating back to 2001, our babies would have a better future. They would be able to breath better. They could perhaps spread their wings a bit more if they could benefit from the space that those magazines take up.

Now here is where I become a bit more self-critical. Rather than taking the time to sit down and write about my desire to clear out those old dusty magazines, why not actually clear out the dusty magazines? Okay, good point. And while I'm at it, why have I been meaning to clean out our closet for the past two weeks and it still remains untouched? I've spent more mental energy trying to motivate myself to clean the closet than it would actually take....and I'm not a procrastinator. Well, at least I wasn't before two little babies moved into my body.

No comments: