As many of you readers know, my babies have been showing me whose the boss in the form of migraine headaches as well as nausea.
So here is my latest fear-based dilemma...my dilemma with Excedrin Migraine. On my last visit, I told my OB (Dr. K) about the awful headaches I've been having. She recommended Excedrin Migraine (which contains caffeine, which my fertility doc wanted me to stay clear of for the first 12 weeks). Anyway, when I mentioned that I'd been told to stay clear of caffeine, Dr. K said there have been enough studies on caffeine to prove that small amounts of caffeine would not harm the pregnancy, and I was also past the first trimester so we could ease up a bit.
On the same day, my sister called and asked if I had caught the new study on the Today Show....showing that 200 mg. of caffeine per day increased the risk of miscarriage. So I looked at Excedrin Migraine contents and found each dose contains 250 mg. of caffeine. So I didn't want to take it. Then I thought...hmmm, who do I trust...the Today Show or my doctor who told me it was okay? Further, could one billion tea-drinking Indians have it wrong about caffeine, and if so how does their race persist? Ajay's whole side of the family drink tea everyday, and throughout pregnancy, I've been told.
So I freaked myself out into not taking the Excedrin for fear of miscarriage....then realized that I didn't see the study on the Today show, and then it occurred to me that my doctor had reminded me that the risk of miscarriage is substantially lowered after the first trimester...oh, and all this time I'm suffering with a migraine trying to analyze what to do.
Ajay says listen to your doctor and take the pill. Even Maya says take the pill...and Maya never says take the pill. So I take the pill and feel better. F***ing Today Show!
2 comments:
I went back & forth on this too (when I was pregnant), and as one of those Indians (whose Indian mother had tea throughout both her pregnancies...many cups a day), I had my tea (a couple of cups a day) plus my strong 6-oz. cup of coffee each morning. This continued until about the 14th week when terrible heartburn set in and I had to give it up until the heartburn passed around week 17and then my tea & coffee-drinking continued 'til the end (had a healthy 6lb.5oz baby girl). My point? I think your body will help in the decision-making. I realize some women are very sensitive to caffeine but then they don't struggle with this issue anyway. As for the Today Show report...so many potential variables in the study. Just get the relief you need.
~M.
Sounds like this is more common than I knew! I am so glad to hear that I'm in good company with my cup (or two) of half-caff coffee or cup of tea! Thanks for the reassurance!
Post a Comment