Yesterday, after my ultrasound appointment in the morning, Ajay and I had lunch together and he headed back to work, while I ran errands.
Okay, I skipped over a very important detail there....the important bit of information is not that we had lunch together, although that was a real treat for a Monday. The important bit of information is what the babies made me eat for lunch.
We went to Santa Monica Seafood. Even if you tried, I don't think you could find a healthier place for lunch....they have fresh, never frozen, no hormones added, wild caught fish in many varieties. Mainly, they sell fish for you to take home and cook yourself, but they also have a small lunch counter. Ajay orders grilled shrimp tacos. I didn't order that.
I asked what the fisherman's platter had on it...she told me fried fish, fried shrimp, and french fries. I asked if I could substitute the fried clams for the fried fish. She said no. So I ordered the fried shrimp basket with fries and coleslaw, and then another order of fried clams. and a Sprite in case my stomach decided to act up. Yes, I see the irony there. In case my stomach decided to misbehave after what I was about to do to it...
That's not the worst part...the food comes, and Ajay puts his respectable small plate of grilled tacos at his seat, and then puts a very large plate of shrimp in front of me....and since we're at a very small bistro table, we have to do a little re-arranging to fit in my extra order of clams. Everything on my side of the table is a nice golden brown color. It even smells deep fried. As Ajay is returning the tray that the food came on, we notice one of Ajay's partners at the counter placing a lunch order (fish soup....he doesn't know what's good). We say hi to Al, and as he turns to talk to us, he looks at our table and focuses on my side of it. He looks at all the fried food in front of me, and then at me, and then back to the food, and then back to me. He's got a kind of smile on his face. He sees my dirty secret. Finally he leaves.
Upon finishing every last bite, Ajay asks me to take one of his tacos home. He couldn't even finish his one little lunch order.
No comments:
Post a Comment